Re: shuttle disaster

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 23:58, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 02:17:40PM -0500, David P James wrote:
> > The Americans liberated Continental Europe. But they did not save
> > Britain. Arguably Canada did, but not the United States.
>
> And at that, Canadian Forces are basically the British Forces but
> flying the Red Ensign instead.  I took history from a US perspective,
> and I still see that the British more than held thier own.  America

If the US hadn't chipped in with more ships and long range bombers,
all the valiant work of the RN & RCN would hae come up short.

> didn't save thier ass, America saved France's.  Considering the
> centuries-old animosity between England and France, and France's
> initial help in stabilizing a young America, I'm surprised the Cold
> War found Americans, French and British on the same side (as opposed
> to .fr and .us versus .su and .uk) 8:o)

All during the CW, the French steered a much more independant military
course, having their own, non-integrated nuclear policy, and not
being fully integrated into NATO.

I wonder if that's because (as I understand it) most Franch partisans
during the war were communists, and many other French fell right in
with the Nazis?
http://www.bobfromaccounting.com/4_22_02/francesurrenders.html

(The French are most ungrateful we twice hauled their arses out of
the fire.)

For about 125ish years, there was some political/naval animosity
beween the 2 countries, but the bonds of trade & culture were too
strong.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ ron.l.johnson |
| "For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start    |
|  with, and becoming increasingly difficult to be produc-   |
|  tive as time went on, and if something went wrong very    |
|  difficult to fix, compared to linux's large over head     |
|  setting up and learning the system with ease of use and   |
|  the increase in productivity becoming larger the longer I |
|  use the system."                                          |
|   Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands                         |