Re: shuttle disaster

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:24:41PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > How much are the city/state/feds subsidizing TriMet?
>
> Right now, about half.  Normally, nearly nothing or less.  TriMet only
> goes net-loss and extra subsidy when it's building new rail lines, but
> usually makes headway for a year after that to then break roughly
> even.  Yellow Line is expected to open in May, IIRC.

To add to that, how much of the US Interstate Highway system is
currently subsidized by city/state/fed governments?

To answer my own question, I believe the figure is pretty close to
100% (correct me if I'm wrong). What's more, I believe less than half
of the funding comes from fuel taxes.

Does this make the Interstate Highway system a failure that should be
done away with?