Re: shuttle disaster

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:55:06PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Ummm, somehow I don't think that when W was inaugurated, he was planning
> on having these new burdens placed on the Federal budget...

Yeah, but that only accounts for the Afghan War last year, and
*possibly* North Korea.  Iraq is his own doing here.

> Clinton wanted to nationalize heath care, but neither happened.  The
> Republicans forced Clinton to operate within the Budget Agreement,
> and pass welfare reform.

Like I was saying, they expect more out of the Democrats than they
themselves practice.

> Oh, guess who came into office right around the time that the S&L's
> finally got paid off?  Right...  Clinton!  So without lifting a finger,
> the budget got a lot closer to being balanced, and Clinton took all
> the credit.

He gets to take the credit because he wasn't the cause of the screwup
to begin with.  And things didn't start looking significantly better
until around the fifth or sixth Clinton year, *long* after Reagan and
Bush were out of the picture and the S&Ls were paid off.  When did
things break down again?  Almost immediately after Bush took office.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user