Re: shuttle disaster

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:36:45 +0000,
Pigeon wrote:

[...]

> Personally, I think that the space programme in its current
> state of development is frequently trying to run before it can
> walk, and consumes money which would be better spent on famine
> relief.

That's one way to look at it. Agreed, famine victims should have
priority. But a country which already spends a hundred billion
dollars for its defense ought to spend a few more tens of billion
dollars for a space program that could save the planet when the
next Big One comes along[1]. I'm probably taking you out of
context [...].

Personally, I feel that more money should be thrown at space
research and technology, by either the governments of the first
world or the very rich (as in Redmond), than at the development
of the next cool gaming console. The money should be in space[2],
not cyberspace.

[1]http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/neo.html
[2]For a /.-concept: http://miningasteroids.com/