Re: cdrecord: What does "BURN-Free is OFF" mean?

What else might be wrong? Googling reveals that my newer writer might be
"ATAPI". Is this important in this context? I found a few rants about ATAPI. I couldn't make out whether the author(s) thought it was good, but poorly supported by Linux, or bad in itself. How should the setups for these two drives differ (if at all) if one is "ATAPI" and the other is not?

Paul