Re: OT: adduser vs manual file manipulation [WAS: Re: List of users from a certain group]

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:03:20PM +0100, Johannes Zarl wrote:
> I always edited the group, passwd and shadow files per hand to
> add/remove/alter groups/users and I never had any problem.
>
> Is there any drawback I missed in using this procedure? Or is this simply
> a matter of convenience?

it's more of a convenience for the admin really, and ensures that
everything is done the right way and that nothing's forgotten.  it
also creates home directories, copies over skeleton files, and
makes sure that uids/gids are compliant with debian policy, et al.  it's
a pretty nice utility actually, and it's pretty configurable to your
specific tastes (see adduser.conf(5)).

	sean