Re: A more detailed posting ....

On Saturday 01 February 2003 12:29 pm, Colin Ellis wrote:
> Try downloading the 4 deb packages manually via ftp or standard web
> browser. Check the integrity of the download using the md5sums.
>
> If the download works ok then try installing them manually with dpkg -i
> <packagename>
>
> This will determine whether it is apt or the particular packages that are
> at fault.
>
> If this still fails then I suggest providing details on the packages you
> are trying to install and what error messages are given.
>
> Regards,
>
> Colin Ellis
> Solution City Ltd.

Firstly I have upgraded my /etc/apt/sources.list to ....

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-1
(20020720)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free

It wanted 11 upgrades, worked for 7 and failed for my original four !!!
Hints towards the server for me ?

Anyhow to pick a failed upgrade, I choose  ..
konsole 4:2.2.2-14.2

I went to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
searched for konsole, found ...
konsole 4:2.2.2-14
no .2 on the end.

downloaded and installed AOK. My assumption being that the .2 signified to
APT that the package was an upgrade ? and debian.org would have the latest
one ? mmmm .....

anyhow
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

still 4 packages to update !!!
It did not see the konsole package as an upgrade.

The error messages I am getting now are ...
Error reading from server. Remote end closed connection

How can I get konsole 4:2.2.2-14.2, where do I get a md5 string to check its
integrity against ?

Any help much appreciated
Dave !!