Re: if you could have just one dead tree book

on Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:57:50AM -0600, Dan Hunt (Dan@TillageTools.com) wrote:
> I am taking care of my big sister's farm here in western Canada
> while she is visiting her daughter at  UC Davis in Davis
> California. My brother in law phoned and asked me if there was a
> book I would like from the ucdavis book store.
> Oh fellow debian-users, if you could have just one dead tree book
> what would you ask for?
> If I don't reply to his I will own a big book about red-hat!
> All I could think of is Rute, but I see Matt Welsh's Running
> Linux was reccomended.

Hmm...

I'm checking with some folks who'd know the bookstore well.  If you're
aiming for something that can only be obtained at UCD.

I'd recommend:

   - _Wind, Sand, and Stars_, Antoine de Saint Exuperey
   - _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_, Douglas Adams (preferably
     one of the compendia of all six books from the trilogy).
   - _Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance_, Robert Pirsig.
   - Anything by Neal Stephenson.  If you want moderately topical,
     there's _Cryptonomicon_, though _The Diamond Age_, _Snowcrash_,
     _Zodiac_, and _U_ are all recommneded.  "In the Beginning Was the
     Command Line" is available online (Google for it).
   - Temperate-Zone Pomology.  After all, Davis *is* an ag school.
   - A UC Davis Coffeehouse mug.  You can't get these just anywhere.

For technical books, you can get just about anything at Powells:

    http://www.powells.com/

Peace.

   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act:
     Feinstein's answer to Enron envy.
       http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html