Re: updatedb running as user nobody

Bill Moseley said:

> If on this system it's not a problem that people see file names of all
> files is there any reason not to run updatedb as root?

security reasons I'm sure. to minimize effects of buffer overflows
for the program(I think usually the buffer overflow would be in
the locate command which queries the database generated by updatedb,
or at least i've seen several posts on overflows in a more secure version
of locate called slocate ..)

make your home directories world read/executable(you can still make
the files non readable), and you should be able to index all the files,
and keep people from accessing those files. Unless your really paranoid
about people knowing what filenames you have ..

all of my machines run in a trusted enviornment so it's not really
an issue for me.

nate