Photo archiving software?

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for photo indexing and archiving
software - something like (what I have been told) iPhoto does on the
Mac.

I have boxes full of old photos, and would like to scan them all in for
storage; I need something that will handle that sort of task, including
indexing, retrieval, viewing, etc. Ideally it would allow archving to CD
as well, but if not I can figure out another solution to that problem.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
nl