Re: I can't install KDE3 on debian sarge

On Thursday 02 January 2003 05:53 am, Richard PAVY wrote:
> I added
> ftp://download.uk.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.5a/Debian/woody/
>
> In the sources.list file but "apt-get install kde" with root privileges
> (I'm using debian sarge, it shouldn't be any harder than that???)
> Doesn't seen to work. It says :
>
> server:~# apt-get install kde
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   kde: Depends: kdelibs3 but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: libarts or
>                 libarts-alsa but it is not going to be installed or
>                 libarts-bin but it is not installable
>        Depends: libkmid or
>                 libkmid-alsa but it is not going to be installed or
>                 libkmid-bin but it is not installable
>        Depends: kdebase but it is not going to be installed or
>                 kdebase3 but it is not installable
>        Depends: kdebase-audiolibs but it is not going to be installed or
>                 kdebase3-audiolibs but it is not installable
>        Depends: kdebase-libs but it is not going to be installed or
>                 kdebase3-libs but it is not installable
>        Depends: kdebase-doc but it is not going to be installed or
>                 kdebase3-doc but it is not installable
>        Depends: kab but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: kpm but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: koffice but it is not going to be installed
> E: Sorry, broken packages
> server:~#
>
> but what's more, an "apt-cache showpkg kde" says I'm installing kde
> 2.2.25 or so while I need kde3. Anyone help me ??!!

Alan is rigtht about the task 'kde' Sarge has a task kde based on kde2.2.x so
I would expect kde2.2.x to get installed with that command. Dselect/aptitude
is a preffered way, and be carefull to not select ay kde2.2.x stuff, only the
kde3.0.5a. packages, both sets of packages will be listed.
--
Greg Madden