Re: modprobe is automatically calling ifup/ifconfig. Why?

At 8:24 Uhr -0800 10.11.2002, Joe Emenaker wrote:
The problem seems to be that, when I run modprobe to load the driver
for my ethernet interface, ifup or ifconfig seems to get run as
well. Since I have my 3c95x driver in my /etc/modules, it gets
loaded at boot time and then the interface actually gets *brought
up*. Now, I kinda suspect that it's "ifup" that's getting run
because the interface, after it has been brought up, seems to use
the contents of /etc/network/interfaces... which is a debianism.
However, if ifconfig can save/restore the settings from the last
time the interface was brought up, then I guess ifconfig could be
what's being run... but I really suspect ifup.

Are you sure that no dhcp client is running before you are doing
modprobe? I've seen one of them being started by a link in /etc/rc2.d
(even if there's no auto entry in /etc/network/interfaces).

Christian.