Re: computer hypothermia -- help!

on Mon, 30 Dec 2002 04:50:45PM -0500, George Georgalis insinuated:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 04:08:43PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> >thanks for the suggestion.  after a bunch of hard-drive swapping with
> >another functional computer, i'm pretty sure it's the hard drive just
> >gone beserk.  :(  oh well ... thanks for your help!
>
> aaah, hd failure, they come in all shapes and forms. Your other
> posts indicated it would work for 1/2 hour or so. I'm guessing it's
> heat related.

well, that well could be ... though it seems to be indeterminate.
sometimes it will stay up five minutes, sometimes two hours.  i really
haven't managed to locate it.

> So, maybe if the drive is attached to something big and cold outside
> (read: to dissipate the heat) you can get some more info off of it
> before it warms up? (or maybe just put the pc on the porch and get
> the backups by regular networking)? Presuming of course, it's still
> cold where you are.

:) not as cold as Wisconsin usually is!  thanks, though ... i have
most of the data i want off of it already on CD, but if i decide i
need my 24G of music off it, i'll try putting it on the porch.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/