Re: Woody->FreeBSD box via null modem cable

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 02:14:02PM +0100, Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to connect to a FreeBSD box from Woody using a null modem
> cable. The FreeBSD box is already set up properly (a getty is running on
> one of the serial ports). The serial cable is connected to ttyS1 on my
> Debian box. I tried to set things up using "minicom -s":
>
> 1. I entered the serial port the cable is connected to (on my Debian box):
> /dev/ttyS1
> 2. I set the modem init string to the empty string.
>
> Do I need any other software package besides "minicom" on my Debian box? Is
> there some article/howto explaining null modem cable setups in greater
> detail? (I was looking at the serial port console howto, but this one
> covers only the pin layout for null modem cables. Besides, this howto
> mostly deals with redirecting *boot* messages to the serial console, which
> is not what I'm interested in.)

You could also set up slip (serial line IP) networking between the two
computers over the serial port using slattach (in the net-tools
package).  See the Net-HOWTO for details.  This typically is limited to
~115 kbps data transfers.  You could then use telnet, ssh, ftp, etc.

A pair of cheap NICS and a crossover cable will offer better
performance, however.

Bob