audio recording is fast

Hi,

I began using gramofile a few weeks ago to copy a bunch of cassettes I have onto my laptop. Everything was working fine up until 2 days ago, when suddenly everything I record from the microphone is speeded up so it sounds like a 33rpm record playing at 78-or 100-rpms. I tried using audacity instead & the problem persists so I guess it's something a little lower-level. Since it last worked I did an upgrade of the system, which runs unstable. I've spent over a dozen hours RTFMing & googling for a possible explanation, but its difficult not even knowing what I'm looking for. Any ideas or hints will be appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Kenneth