Re: dhcpd: how to quiet DHCPREQUEST in logs

Gerald V. Livingston II, 2002-Dec-29 13:54 -0600:
> Jeff said:
>
> > Bill Moseley, 2002-Dec-29 10:44 -0800:
> >>
> >> In my server I've got
> >>
> >>   default-lease-time 600;
> >>
> >> but the DHCPREQEST messages are sent from the client every five
> >> minutes so
>
> > The default lease time is in seconds, so 600 is 5 minutes.  That's why
> > the clients make a new request every 5 minutes.  Change that number to
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
> > Diggin' Debian		Admin and User
>
> You need new batteries for your calculator <grin>
>
> 600s / 60s/m = 10m
>
> 600 seconds = 10 minutes, not 5. So if he's seeing retries every 5
> minutes then something else is going on.

Oops...next time I'll use a calculator.  Doing the math in my head
is apparently not reliable  :-D

So, perhaps you can check the clients lease to make sure it is using
the 10 minute setting.  If the client is Debian and using dhclient,
check /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases.

jc