Re: [OT] beep after mucking around inside box

Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002-12-29 16:09:09 -0500]:
> i've plugged in everything and reseated everything i can find to
> reseat.  should i fork over the $30 HP wants to give technical support
> for an out-of-warranty product?  should i take it into a shop?

That sounds like you have loosened a ram.  With no ram most BIOSes
just beep incessantly.

I would not give up yet.  I would go through everything again.  Unplug
the ram and then seat them in there again.  Check the other cables.

If that does not work then unplug everything except the ram, the
speaker, the monitor, the keyboard.  Leave the front panel wires
power, reset, etc. connected but unplug floppy, cdrom, disk, etc.  I
probably missed something but you get the idea.  With a monitor
plugged in and ram you should get some life out of the box.  At least
a BIOS boot screen telling you that you are missing things.  It won't
boot but it should POST (power on self test) and that should give you
a clue as to the problem.  Then one by one plug in each of the
components.

Bob