Re: 20GB on an old P75

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 08:29:09PM +0100, Mat wrote:
> Hi.
> I would install Linux on a 20GB HD, which will be installed on an old P75 system.
> While the BIOS cannot recognize more than 8GB, under Linux I can see all the 7
> partitions on it with fdisk, and can mount them.
> How is it possible?Perhaps the kernel bypasses BIOS?

Yes.

> Do you think I will see all the 20GB space, if I install Linux on it, or will I have a lot of
> problems? (it is a full windows system with a lot of data and I don't want to "try")

It should work. If you don't have much linux experience however (or if
you do have experience), make very sure you have backups. You should not
need them, but...

One possible problem is mentioned in another reply : to boot, you will
need to have a boot partition somewhere in the beginning of the disk, or
boot from floppy.

Frank