Re: SCSI emulation for IDE CD-writer

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 11:33:10AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > Another question:  I have everything compiled into the kernel instead of
> > as modules.  I have two IDE drives and I'm *not* using the append line,
> > yet the drives are still setup correctly as SCSI.
> >
> > Why don't I need the append= line?
>
> AIUI, if you have ide-cd and ide-scsi (and sr_mod) compiled into the
> kernel, ide-scsi will win and take everything.  I compile all the
> ide-scsi (and scsi) stuff as modules, because it's possible to play with
> them without a reboot.

Ah, I see.

My assumption was wrong then.  I thought that the append= in lilo was to
pass things into compiled-in code, where modules loaded with insmod could
be passed in settings when they were being loaded.

But does that mean that if you only want one drive to be ide-scsi that you
need to use modules?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org