Re: How stupid can i get :( - please help pls pls pls

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 12:25:37AM -0800, Jatin Golani wrote:
> Now if I try to boot into Debian I get a kernel panic.
> When booted into Mandrake, fdisk still shows the
> partition as a Linux partition with id 83.......if I
> try to mount this partition i get a bad fs, bad
> superblock or too many mounted filesystems msg. If i
> try doing a swapon /dev/hda6 (hda6 is or was my
> ext3)just to see if i can load it as swap, swapon
> doesn't complain :( Under Windows Partition Magic
> still shows the partition as Linux

Hi Jatin,

First let me say that I work for a commercial data-recovery company.
My guess is that we would be able to recover most of your data, so if
you really, really value your data, feel free to send it to us (or a
competitor if you want, but I doubt that they have as much experience
with Linux as we do.)

You could try to do an fsck with an alternative superblock. That should
work,  but could make matters worse. So here in the lab we'd make an
image of that partition before we would try such a thing....

			Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
* The Worlds Ecosystem is a stable system. Stable systems may experience *