Re: Linux system /dev/hda to /dev/hdd, will it work ??

On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 22:27, daves debian wrote:
> I need to move my linux system from drive, /dev/hda to /dev/hdd
> I know I will have to re-write lilo.conf
>
> Apart from lilo, will the system work in a different hdX ??
>
> Anyone had any experience ?? or done it ??

Hi Daves,

I usually install to another partition and copy the whole debian
distribution to my software-raid. Never experienced a problem so far.
Of course you will have to edit /etc/fstab also.

Pay attention not to copy the files in /proc (and /dev if you have a
devfs enabled kernel running).

I am not sure if lilo sets the root-device in the kernel image, it might
be useful to have a boot-cd at hand and to take a look at 'man rdev' if
the kernel fails to find its root-fs.

hth
stefan

--

"boredom is not a burden anyone should bear"