How stupid can I be :(....please help pls pls pls

Hey ppl,

I have a Debian 3.0 system with an ext3 partition. I recently installed Mandrake 9.0 on a different partition just to check it out and therefore had to change the partition structure on my drive, however Debs been my main workhorse.

I recently noticed a performance degrade on my Deb and realized that the Swap wasn't being used at all. I checked fstab and thought I saw the right entry for swap. Then i thought from my ass that since I've been havin too many power outages maybe the Swap partit has gotten corrupted someway so decided to do a mkswap on hda6.....didn't realize that after i changed my partition structure it's hda7 that's the swap......mkswap started spewing msgs saying something like EXT3.....bad directory.....a few secs into the operation i realized that something was wrong and i did a hard reboot. When I try to reboot into the system now I get a kernel panic.

When booted into Mandrake the partition still shows up as Linux with a signature id of 83. Partition magic also still shows it as Linux. Trying to mount it gives me the msg that Bad fs type, bad fs superblock or too many mounted filesystems. I tried doing a swapon on the partition just to check if it complains and it didn't.

I really reallly really need the data on this partition really bad :(....since i shut down after just a few secs is there anyway to recover the balance data on the partit (I know i know I'm grabbing at straws and hoping without hope :( )......would something like gpart help....however in this case the partition seems to exist however i need to get the data within....or hopefully recreate it :(

I know it ain't fair for u guys to bear the brunt of trying to solve my stupidity :(....but really guys if there's anyway to rebuild my partition i'd really really appreciate it....willing to experiment on anything right now :(

Thanks ppl and Happy New Year :)

Bye for now