kernel panic: i have no root and i want to scream

Hello,

got this error upon booting to debian, here's some details on the boot
messages:
-----------------------
DC398:0 adapters found
3ware Storage Controller device for Linux v1.02.00.016
3w-xxxx: No cards with valid units found.
request_module[scsi_hostadapter]:
Root fs not mounted
Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream
-----------------------

here's my grub menu.lst
title Debian
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/ vga=788

I've reintalled Debian woody 3 times, and one with the default configs
and still got the error. This series of errors occured right after a
fresh repartition and reformat of my hd ... Help!

Elijah