Boot clean to KDE

Help a Linux newbie....

Got early Christmas present from friend, a Lindows box. Nice! Been wanting to dip a toe into the Linux world. Worked great!.... until...

Shutdown from GUI desktop, but shutdown power too quick, before the whole shutdown process had completed. Now will only boot to a graphical terminal screen. Lindows support pointed me to deleting /tmp/.X0-lock to allow a 'startx' to work to get main GUI desktop going. Closing the desktop gets me back to graphical terminal screen. From there I have to do a 'shutdown now' to completely power down the box.

Lindows tech support can't help me, short of "Put in the CD, reload OS, and start over".

I come from the Windows world, and there HAS to be something less destructive than this to do. Some script somewhere, something....

So can you folks shed some light where Lindows tech support left off?

TIA - Jim Hickman