Re: Booting without a monitor: No Go

On 27 Dec 2002 00:49:30 -0600

> On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 23:31, Curtis Spencer wrote:
> > I have it set up for  Halt On: no error on that BIOS setting, yet
> > strangely I still cannot boot up.  I disconnect all peripherals
> > including the keyboard, but leave just the monitor, and I can watch
> > it boot up just fine.  The kernel output just complains that no AT
> > keyboard is present but I am able to SSH into the system.
> >
> > I have done some more investigating with disconnecting the monitor
> > at different times and it seems that once it passes the POST, I can
> > disconnect the monitor and it will continue to boot up fine.  It
> > seems that it needs the monitor at POST.  I think this is no longer
> > a problem with debian, but perhaps someone might have an idea.  It
> > is a Elsa Geforce 2 Vid Card by the way and KT7 Raid.
>
> Is there a way, from the BIOS setup, to bypass POST, or do a "quick
> POST"?

It's probably the video card bios halting when it can't configure itself
to the 'detected' monitor (which isn't detected because it isn't there).
Try booting with the no video card at all or with an old, cheap,
PCI VGA card plugged in.

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com