Problem with blank screen w/ ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon

I finally got Debian to install -- the packages that could not install were
all in Tasksel's "desktop" selection.

When selecting modules to load, I selected ATI Radeon for DRM, and selected
ATI Radeon (I can't remember if it said ATI Radeon or just Radeon) for the
video card.  I've tried installing by using Framebuffers and not using them
in X.  I was trying to install w/ a resolution of 1152x8?? (can't remember),
which I've done with this  computer and monitor before, but when I had
problems, I changed and used only resolutions of 800x600 and less.

Debian installs okay, and after the install, if I run X Windows, I get a blank
screen.  The monitor, which can detect a video signal, seems to be switching
on and off -- like it has a signal, then doesn't.  Control-Alt-Backspace does
not do anything I can see.  After repeatedly pressing Control-Alt-F2, I
finally got to my second console (the first was the one I ran StartX in) and
was able to do a ps -ax.  I ended up just killing X.  I wanted to try an app
that I've seen open it's own screen, so I did apt-get install tuxracer and
ran that.  I've got a blank screen and can't seem to get back to a console
with control-alt-Fx.

I've tried searching the archives, but for some reason the search system is
NOT responding (usually I find it slow, but tonight I'm not getting
anything).

So it boils down to 3 questions:

1) What program can I run from the command line to configure/reconfigure X?
2) Has anyone had a similar problem and know what I need?  Do I need the GATOS
drivers for ATI?
3) Can anyone at all tell me what's going on, or at least tell me what M to
RTFM?

Thanks!

Hal

(Is it true that once a Linux user finally gets over the install hurdle, they
find Debian the best distro out there?  Is it worth all this when I can get
the same system up and running w/ Mandrake but still have to face RPM hell?)