Re: Help with Cups.

This one time, at band camp, Bill Moseley said:

> Geeze, I've spent about three hours today bouncing aroud documentation,
> the Cups site, various HOWTOs, and the www.linuxprinting.org site.
>
> I've got Cups installed on one machine.  I can print test pages and from
> applications fine on the local machine.
>
> But I can't seem to figure out why I cannot print from another machine on
> my subnet.  I've got cupsys, cupsys-client, and xpp installed on my other
> machines.  The cups manual for setting up the client (and I quote) "do
> nothing".  (http://localhost:631/sam.html#CLIENT_AUTO)
>
> So far nothing gets me nothing.  In the debian package to I need to set up
> cupsd.conf to allow browsing?  And then how to I browse from the clients
> to select the printer on the server?
>
> My next step is setting up my Window machine to use cupsys in raw mode.
> Any pointers there would be very helpful.
>
> This seems like it should be a trivial and common configuration.  I think
> the volume of documentation is keeping me from understanding the
> fundamentals.

On the server, you have to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to allow browsing
and what client IPs are allowed to connect and so forth.  It's a well
commented config file - should be pretty straightforward.

You can have the Windows machine send whatever you want - postscript,
pcl, etc - by selecting different printer types in the setup printer
dialogue.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Goodbye, cool world.                    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |