Re: USB MagicOk

On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 10:52, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I've noticed the same problem on a Mandrake system I have.  I had times when I
> had a SanDisk Cruzer (ramdrive) and a USB floppy plugged into the USB ports
> and there was no way (without doing an "ls") to distinguish which was which.
> The first one plugged in was always /dev/sda, the 2nd /dev/sdb.
>
> Isn't there some way to lock a device ID with a particluar device?

Hi,

I'm 99 44/100th sure that this is just the nature of the SCSI drivers.

However...  with devfs, you may be able to work around that issue.  Of
course, moving to devfs is a *big* change, and worthy of much study,
1st.

> On Thursday 26 December 2002 11:40 am, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> > Scenario:
> >
> > 1 computer with USB Hub
> >
> > 2 USB 32Meg key fobs
> > 1 USB MP3 player with 10Gig drive
> >

> > All 3 devices link in as /dev/sd?
> >
> > Is there a good way to assign ID's to these devices?  As it stands right
> > now whatever device I plug in first is /dev/sda, second is b, etc.  Is
> > there a way to make it so the MP3 player is always sda, one fob is
> > always sdb and one is always c?  It would make managing multiple devices
> > at once alot easier, especially when sync'ing the fobs.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."    |
|    Socrates                                                   |