Re: Ask Debian: PCMCIA Modem Tips

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:17:46AM +0330, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> I have a IBM ThinkPad A31 notebook, which uses a Lucent/Agere AMR
> Modem. There is currently no driver available for this device, and I
> hear from here and there, that nobody's working on it. So I am
> thinking of buying a PCMCIA real modem to put in the notebook.
> However, I have no experience dealing with PCMCIA drivers. when I will
> go shopping, should I have in mind a specific brand/model that is
> known to work with GNU/Linux? or do all PCMCIA modem cards wok with
> Linux? Also, what's the procedure of installing such a PCMCIA device?
> If you are aware of any How2s or tips regarding this, that would
> certainly be welcomed.

If you get REAL MODEM, it is a simple serial port on PCMCIA to PC and no
need to worry about driver.  Just look for name brand card which does not
specify "Windows" as its requirement.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract