Re: Handspring Visor (Palm OS) USB sync with gpilotd or?

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 02:11:27PM -0500, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> Is ANYONE successfully hotsyncing a Visor or other Palm OS device via
> the USB hotplug system?  I've been using gpilotd with Redhat 7.3, and
> I'm trying to switch to Debian.

You betcha.  Works great.  Follow the Visor USB HOWTO and you should have
no problems.

(yes, I'm sure you'll say that you have, but it's really pretty hard to
screw up)

> /var/log/messages shows the visor is recognized, but times out without
> transferring anything, and there is a message from the hotplug scripts
> that say there is no kernel or user module for it (even though lsmod
> shows it's loaded).  It seems there's something wrong with the hotplug
> system, but it would be great to hear if anyone else has it working.

Hotplug loads the module.  That's ALL.  You have to have some application
on the other end to actually communicate with the Visor and to be able to
tell that it's connected.  I use coldsync for this purpose, since all I
really want to be able to do is back the thing up and be able to install
things on it (although I've been playing with pcal, and I may start doing
more than that).

Note that you could be getting all kinds of silly errors if the Visor isn't
seated in the cradle properly.  Before you worry about getting hotplug to
load and unload the module, make sure you can communicate with the thing.

--
 Marc Wilson |     BOFH excuse #251: Processes running slowly due to
 msw@cox.net |     weak power supply