Re: howto for compiling of deb packages

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 10:52:32AM +0100, Roland Wegmann wrote:

> I have to know how you can build deb packages from source. Could somebody
> tell me if there exists an apt-get(able) doc package that introduces me
> in the topic of compiling your own deb packages from source?

It's not intended for making debs you could distribute to other people,
but for installing from source on your own systems, checkinstall may be
what you're looking for:

$ apt-cache show checkinstall

 Package: checkinstall
 Section: admin
 Installed-Size: 132
 Maintainer: Matt Hope <dopey@debian.org>
 Architecture: all
 Version: 1.5.3-1
 Depends: installwatch (>> 0.6)
 Filename: pool/main/c/checkinstall/checkinstall_1.5.3-1_all.deb
 Size: 34260
 MD5sum: 1e4eb5a8c1329a9f199e1cbb63f65cca
 CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or
 modified by your installation script ("make install"
 "make install_modules", "setup", etc), builds a
 standard binary package and installs it in your
 system giving you the ability to uninstall it with your
 distribution's standard package management utilities.

--
Lance Simmons
lance@lsimmons.net