Re: Problems with Install of Woody from CD (and Network)

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 11:06:21PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> Help or info on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.  I
> posted most of this on linux.debian.user on USEnet, but there were no

Sorry for the confusion, but linux.debian.user is mostly just a one-way
gateway from the debian-user mailing list, so posting there isn't
usually of much help.

> I can't help but wonder, since Debian is so easy to upgrade, and most
> Debian users don't do re-installs, if the installer has been
> overlooked or only paid minimal attention.

This is a comment that's often made, yes (and one that we hope to turn a
little more in our favour with the next-generation installer by making
it behave more like the rest of the distribution rather than the weird
thing it's always been up to now).

I do know that the Debian installer is at least minimally functional. :)
I use it from time to time at work.

> 1) Not once was I able to do a complete install.  Even when I was ONLY
> installing the base system, I always got messages that not all packages
> could be installed.

Somewhere in the scrollback you should have detailed error messages from
the packages in question, and if you can find those and post them
exactly it may help. I'm pretty sure that the packages in the stable
base system aren't that badly broken for everyone, and this kind of
thing is likely to be independent of your system ...

> 2) When I used the CDs, if the install asked for Disc 1 and I
> accidently put in Disc 2 and received the error message (or the insert
> disk message again), and put in the correct Disc, the install program
> continued asking for the right disc in an endless loop -- in other
> words, if, after asking once for a disc, it didn't find the right
> disc, it was unable to find it anytime afterward (is it possible an
> error flag was set in the loop and not cleared when the install
> program checked again?).

Sounds like grounds for a bug report on boot-floppies.

> 3) When I installed using the rescue and root floppies, it still required
> the 1st CD (the website implies if you start with floppies the entire
> install is network based -- if this is wrong, it needs to be clarified).
> Is it possible to install w/ the floppies and NO CD and do a complete
> network install?

It was the last time I did it - in what context was it asking for the
CD? It could be that it's looking for kernel modules on extra floppies
(yes, the floppy-based install currently requires you to feed in quite a
lot of disks).

> 5) Not once could I get the X server up and running -- it always said
> there was a problem with a port not being available

Again, can you give the exact error message? This doesn't ring a bell,
but the text might.

> 7) I added Demudi as a debs source.  According to the documention, Demudi
> includes Cinelerra as a package.  I think (but don't remember for sure)
> that one time I was able to install Cinelerra, but all the other times,
> even after I hand edited the debs file (and did apt-get update) to include
> Demudi as a source, whenever I did apt-get cinelerra, I got a "not
> available" error message.  How do I fix this?

It may not actually be called 'cinerella'. Try using 'apt-cache search'
(or show what you have in /etc/apt/sources.list and I'll go and have a
look).

Cheers,