Re: ide disk access problem

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 11:38:47AM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 09:22:38PM -0800, nate wrote:
| | Derrick dman Hudson said:
| | > I've got an old IDE disk (Western Digital AC2420H) that I want to copy
| | > data off from.  I plugged it into my fairly recent system (Gigabyte 7IEX4
| |
| | looks like the disk is dead to me.. try running WD's diagnostic tools
| | on it.
|
| The disk works in the Gateway2000 machine (manuf. 1993) that I took it
| out of.  That Gateway has no networking hardware in it and the only
| compatible hardware I have is in use in my router system, buried on my
| desk.

I unburied the router and determined that it's a hardware
incompatibility.  The disk worked fine in the router.  The router's
disk is a WDC2320H -- identical except for lower capacity.  The
router's disk works in my workstation because I used my workstation
for installing and dist-upgrading it (8MB of RAM results in too much
thrashing).  I don't know why it was incompatible.

-D

--
"Don't use C;  In my opinion,  C is a library programming language
 not an app programming language."  - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/