Re: Cannon USB Cammera

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 23:57:39 +0330
Aryan Ameri <a.ameri@linuxiran.org> wrote:

> Hi all:
> I have a Cannon PowerShot A40 Cammera, which (after upgrading gphoto and
>
> gtkam), works perfectly well with Mandrake 9.0, but isn't working with
> Debian (mixture of sarge and sid).
> On debian, I am using the same version of gtkam (a gphoto frontend) that
> I'm using under Mandrake, and my cammera, powershot A40, is indeed
> listed in the cammera's lists. But when gtkam tries detecting the
> cammera, it gives me two error messages
> " could not list folders in '/' "
> and
> " could not initialize cammera".
>
> I checked modconf, and although many USB devices are selected and
> loaded, I couldn't find any cannon thing. Any ideas on why this is
> happenning?

This is pure guesswork.
For Canon (and most other) cameras, there are no kernel modules as gphoto2
uses the userland libusb. It's possible that your hotplug configuration is
not setting the device to have the correct permissions. You might try the
suggestions in:
http://www.tappin.me.uk/Linux/user-hotplug.html
Substituting the relevant device ID in place of that for the S20.

The other possibility is that the devusb filesystem is not enabled --
anybody know if stock Debian kernels enable it?.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering