Snort Remove errors

Greetings everyone.

I'm having trouble removing the snort package.  Here's the info:
---
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  snort snort-common snort-rules-default
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 862kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 62718 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing snort-common ...
Removing snort-rules-default ...
dpkg - warning: while removing snort-rules-default, directory
`/etc/snort' not empty so not removed.
Removing snort ...
/etc/init.d/snort: var: command not found
dpkg: error processing snort (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
postinst called with unknown argument `abort-remove'
 snort
---

I had snort  installed and working fine, then after a
apt-get update and upgrade snort was upgraded. I noticed the
next day that it wasn't emailing me like normal.  So... I
uninstalled it via apt-get remove.. went fine. Next I blew
off the /etc/init.d/snort script, wiped out the /etc/snort
and /var/log/snort directories.... this is where I think
I screwed up.  (yes, I'm now aware of the "purge" option)
:-)

Anyone?

Dana