Re: ide disk access problem

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 09:22:38PM -0800, nate wrote:
| Derrick dman Hudson said:
| > I've got an old IDE disk (Western Digital AC2420H) that I want to copy
| > data off from.  I plugged it into my fairly recent system (Gigabyte 7IEX4
|
| looks like the disk is dead to me.. try running WD's diagnostic tools
| on it.

The disk works in the Gateway2000 machine (manuf. 1993) that I took it
out of.  That Gateway has no networking hardware in it and the only
compatible hardware I have is in use in my router system, buried on my
desk.  My dad was using the 486 (with win95) to browse through the
disk and copy the data he wanted onto floppies for transfer via
sneakernet.  Since I have plenty of spare disk space now I wanted to
move the disk itself and copy it at the speed of the ide bus.  It
worked for the newer Maxtor disk in the system, but the older WD
couldn't be read.  I suspect that if I put it in the Gateway acting as
the router it would work, but that's harder to get to (and more
disruptive) than using my workstation.  If I don't get any other
suggestions then I'll just have to unbury the router or let my dad
continue with sneakernet.

Thanks,
-D

--
But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/