Re: apt-get update fails with File not found (404)

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 21:05, Matej Pfajfar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am experiencing some problems with apt-get update.
> What happens is that it can't fetch the Packages file from the debian
> security site.
>
> This is the error I get :
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Package
> s  404 Not Found

The latest update seemed to me to be rather large.
The apt-get update completed but the following apt-get upgrade
failed with some errors including a 404 or two.

The suggestion was to apt-get update - don't do that after a
successful update, it causes the entire upgrade to download again.

It took 3 apt-get upgrade to get the entire list of packages down
and then complete the upgrade.

HTH
Bob