Re: Symbolic links and tmp directory

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 11:26, Fred wrote:
> > Ola!
> >
> > I'm having a problem with symbolic links. I have used the ln - s without any
> > problem for some time, but everytime i try to stick the /tmp to /var/tmp
> > with ln - s /var/tmp /tmp it works until i reboot my machine. When i turn on
> > my computer i loose always that link but keep the others, for exemple, ln-s
> > /usr/opt /opt. What's wrong with my tmp directory??
> >

> In Debian GNU/Linux system, /tmp is always wiped out at boot time.
> You should find the explanation in the /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh script.
>
> Cu.
>
> Fred.
>
> +-------+------------------            -------------------+
> |  ,-.  |Frederic BURLET                Linux Forever...  |
> |  oo|  |Chercheur MILOS - UCL/FSA/INGI                   |
> | /`'_) |HomePage : http://www.info.fundp.ac.be/~fburlet  |
> |(\__|/ |NamurLUG : http://namurlug.org                   |

I used to do that, too, until I learned that there is a distinction
between the two now - some programs expect the contents of /var/tmp to
persist between restarts (particularly logcheck) while /tmp is wiped
each time.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org