From: alan brown [mailto:alanbrown@pacbell.net]
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 3:26 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Installing a new kernel...

I used apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-386 to update my kernel.

I added a line to lilo.conf regarding initrd=/initrd.img (or whatever it was that I was told to do while the new kernel was being installed).  Everything went swimmingly.  When I rebooted my system, I couldn't see any problems with the modules being loaded and the devices being checked.  But, just as I was expecting it to offer me the graphical login screen, the whole screen went blank (not black though, it's cyan or turquoise or a bluey green or...).

I was able to reboot and then use LILO to boot my old kernel so everything is under control, but I'm not sure what I did wrong in the install.  The instructions were pretty straightforward.  /vmlinuz points to the new kernel.  /vmlinuz.old points to the old one.  It was all done for me during the install.  In fact, the only thing I had to do was put the aforementioned line in lilo.conf

Any pointers would be appreciated...

alan

This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. All information is subject to change without notice.