Re: swap not being used

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:22:13 -0600
Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 02:40:21PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> >   mother:~# cat /proc/swaps
> >   Filename                        Type            Size    Used
> >   Priority/dev/hda2                       partition       996020  0
> >        -1
> >
> > now say i'll start openoffice and mozilla and a couple of others,
> > just to consume RAM. the system will not use the swap space. any
> > idea why not?
>
> How long did you wait? Anything in dmesg? When I start my server it
> has not swap usage for up to a few hours just because it doesn't
> need to  and it only has 96MB ram. Then the next day or so it
> has more
I will ditto that even with only 384 Megs of ram it takes sometimes days
for me to show any swap usage, and that is running a lot of java apps
that eat up memory and have leaks to boot... when I was running potato I
think I went a whole year - across reboots of course - before I ever saw
swap being used.  There was nothing wrong with my system though.  I even
inquired and was told that as long as it is showing up in "free" then it
was available to the kernel.
HTH

Shawn