Re: wine font metrics

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 06:05, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:39:00AM +0300, Andrei Smirnov wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 10:43:23PM +0300, Andrei@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > wine on startup saying just that:
> > > Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
> > > use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
> > > or equal to 2.0.5.
> > > http://www.freetype.org
> > > Building font metrics. This may take some time...
> > >
> > > #and make X use 99% of CPU ... while not doing anything else for hours
> > > #i got libfreetype 2.0.9 (woody stable) installed
> > >
> > > and wine not hang - it responds to ^C
> > > 'Wine failed with code 1'
> > >
> > ok - i found that xfstt responsible for that
> > but there were postages claiming it works with wine ...
> > and how to get TT fonts if it doesnt?
> > Thanx for help...
>
> If you're using X > 4.0, you don't need a font server at all.  It's a
> waste of memory.  Just point X at your TT fonts, and make sure the right
> module is loaded, and you should be all set.
>
> -rob

I'd qualify it - there is one situation I'd think of needing a font
server, and that is if you are on a network and all of the fonts are
installed on one machine and being served out network-wide (the original
concept for this sort of thing.) The font server would run on that
machine, and feed them as needed to X servers calling on it. That was
meant more for when disk space was noticeably less available and fonts
were usually strictly proprietary and *bloody* expensive (*bloody* is
one of those British financial terms in this context.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org