Re: sharing CD-BURNER via iSCSI

David Cureton wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to be able to share a SCSI cdrom burner between multiple hosts. I was wondering about if it would be possible to set up the host with the scsi burner as a iSCSI server (being SCSI over the IP protocol) therefore allowing hosts on the network with appropriate iSCSI drivers to access the burner over the iSCSI protocol. Thus be able to burn CD's from any host on the network DIRECTLY to the cd burner drive itself. Granted there would have to be some access locking mechanisim to prevent two people trying to burn a disk at one time. But would it be possible?

I must admit that I do not know a lot about iSCSI but I do know that it is normally for serving SCSI drives in a storage area network. Has anyone had experience with iSCSI. Are you able to poo-poo this idea from the onset or is it worth me spending some time looking in to. I know the network data latency would have to be small as not to get underruns etc but i am more interested in whether is it possible.

Ideas anyone?

Perhaps is this a solution

http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/jhaeger/webCDwriter/

Cheers