Re: Sylpheed and mail clients (was: Can Kmail be used outside of KDE)?

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:00:25 -0800 Bill Moseley wrote:
> That version of Sylpheed doesn't seem to deal well with counting new
> messages, and when I use the threaded view I seem to miss new
> messages.  I need to figure out how to show messages in *received*
> order.

Must be a temporary breakage. I'm using vanilla Sylpheed 0.8.6, it
counts the messages right, doesn't miss any messages and the default
order is received order.

> My biggest issue with it is the word wrapping, and it's partly that I
(...)
> ... I use Pine and I love the way ^J will re-wrap a quoted long line
> and place ">" at the start of every newly wrapped line.

That's exactly what Sylpheed does.

> By default it wraps on input which is odd because

Turn it off, then, in Configuration -> Common Preferences -> Compose.

> it opens a wide compose window yet only part of it is used.
> Resizing has no effect of where it wraps when composing -- if you

It wraps to a value of characters per line defined in Configuration.

> That also causes a weird effect when replying even when the original
> message was wrapped sylpheed still sometimes will wrap again so it
> looks like:
>
>   > so you see a line like this and then sylpheed wraps
>   right here
>   > so you get a wrapped word or two without "> ".

It definately does not do that here. It wraps quotations correctly,
readjusting the > marker when necessary.

> It gets put back correctly on send but it's hard to read the quoted
> text when composing.

If you want to wait to wrap before sending, click the Linewrap button.

> The other thing I haven't figured out is how to keep it from wrapping
> when I don't want it to -- for example paste in a URL and it gets
> wrapped.  Not very helpful for person receiving the mail.

Then turn off automatic wrapping in Configuration, and wrap by clicking
the Linewrap button when desired.

It seems that all the problems you've presented about Sylpheed are
easily overcome by carefully chosing your preferences. Also, Perhaps you
would be better served by the vannila (stable) Sylpheed version.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/