Re: Still no sound

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:46:32 -0600
Chris Burns <fooberman@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Well, okay...
>
> So here's what it says when i run lspci:

> 00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
> 00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
> 00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
> /00:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
> (rev 05)
> 00:0e.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! (rev 05)/
> 00:0f.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 02)
> 00:0f.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 02)
>
> So it does recognize the card is there.   I added  "emu10k1" to the
> /etc/modules file (it wasn't there previously) and i rebooted, and it
> still doesnt' work.  xmms says this when it tries to play something:

is emu10k1 loaded?  Find out by running
lsmod
and looking for it... if not try loading it with modprobe emu10k1 and see if it throws any errors.  I would lay off of xmms until you have sound going.  Can you just install "play" which is a basic wave player (from command line only).  I think it is a part of sox package.

HTH

Shawn