apache and apache-ssl

I'm somewhat confused about the configuration of apache and apache-ssl.
I noticed that by default they both share the same document root, server
root, and run under the same system user. I read about the different
methods of authentication on the apache site, as well as .htaccess
files, but didn't see a way to restrict access of certain pages to a
secure connection only. Am I missing something or should I be setting up
apache and apache-ssl to have separate document roots, server roots, and
system users?

TIA,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/