Re: 802.11b

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 03:41:36PM +0000, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a small home network with machines connected by cat5 10/100 cable. I want to introduce an old laptop with wireless connections to the mix and just want to test the water to see if it will all work together.
>
> I am looking at a Linksys WAP11 hub and a Linksys WPC11 pcmcia card. If I plug the hub into the existing router, and the pcmcia card into the laptop, then install Debian onto the laptop, provided I read the howto's and configure it right, will this kit work with stable?

wap11 should be fine as is just AP so no software necessary [part from
browser for config]

the wpc11 maybe ok depending on which version, early versions had probs
with the linux-wlan drivers, i have wpc11 v3 which is supposed to work
in linux but i havent got round to setting it up yet.

am going down to cardif on the train on wednesday [uni interview] so
will have a go at configuring the WPC11 then [got 4 hours to kill] will
report back if it works/have probs!

better download linux-wlan, wont be fun @9600bps ;-)

> Is anyone using this as a setup? Are there any dire warnings I should be aware of?
kind of..
i have BEFW11S4 [router/AP]
and WMP11 pci cards, + a WPC11 pcmcica card
the pci cards definately work in in linux.

> As a matter of interest, does any one know how many wireless devices can be pushed through a single WAP11, 1, 5, 10, n-1?
not sure but they all have they all share the uplink from the AP to the
switch, so you wouldnt wanna have too many.

hugh saunders