Re: ACCK! Disk crash

Andrew Pritchard said:

> Under DOS/Windows I'd run scandisk - what is the debian/linux equivalent?

scandisk won't tell you much, nor will e2fsck (EXT2's filesystem checker).

your best off using the tools made for your drive. IBM has special
tools for their drives, Maxtor has tools for their drives.. these tools
can check the drives at a much lower level, detecting problems that
higher level tools such as scandisk or e2fsck, or badblocks cannot
detect(or cannot repair).

After all that I would reccomend stress testing the drive, running
bonnie++ in a loop for a few days would be a good start. though
my experience tells me that even that may not help. Much of my IBM
disks died even after severe load testing.

nate