Re: IMAP recommendations

Tom Allison said:

> I don't understand what you mean by "no username/password".  Do
> you mean no entry in /etc/passwd?  Does cyrus manage it's own list  of
> username/password?

nope, no username or password anywhere associated with the inbox. I have
about 65 mail accounts, only 1 has a username/password. It has access to
all the other inboxes. Like this email address I am posting from. I'm
not sure if other mail servers can do this or not. All that is used to
make this email address "work" is:

1) cyrus inbox named debian-user(cyrus does maintain a list of mailboxes,
their acls, their quota etc, seperate from the system, but does not maintain
any sort of authentication scheme).
2) alias in postfix which points this email address to the inbox debian-user

no username, no password anywhere ..its quite handy.

I do it this way for spam purposes. 99% of spam I recieve is not addressed
to any user on my system so I can only assume it was BCC'd or sent as part
of a mailing list. The only way to track down what address it was sent to
is to have a seperate inbox for every address. Mail goes directly to that
inbox. So I can unsubscribe from these folders and they will continue to
recieve mail(thats another nice plus). The downside to this configuration
is mail clients are not used to working in this way, so the traditional mail
"filters" do not work on anything except the "master" account. But the
benefits far outweigh the losses I think.

nate