Re: config X under woody -- SOLVED... and yet...

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:25:01PM +0900, Nick Hastings wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> * will trillich <will@serensoft.com> [021212 07:42]:
> > QUESTION: how do i find out what selections apply to my hardware
> > so that i can get the highest resolution possible? scan rate and
> > refresh seem to be the kickers.
>
> Look in the documentation that came with your hardware. If you don't
> have any documentation then google for your hardware specs.

My monitor has NOTHING on the outside of the case to indicate what
model it is, so I would not be able to do this. All there is is the
single word "PROJECT". Windoze 98 interrogates its plug & play data
and identifies it as an ADI MS-5P+. I have since seen a non-rebranded
ADI MS-5P+ and indeed it looks identical.

It would be useful to pure Linux users - possibly including the OP -
if there was some Linux tool that did this, so xf86config et al. could
say "Your monitor appears to be an ADI MS-5P+, accept/change" or
something like that, combined of course with a file listing many
different monitors' capabilities.

Pigeon