Re: complete system lock up

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:21:43AM -0000, Ben Thompson wrote:

> I tried memtest86 and the program crashed at Test #5 [Block move, 64
> moves, cached]

Hmmm, I'm no expert, but crashing Memtest86 is a _very_ bad thing.
Unless the system is running on a Crusoe processor (which based on your
culprits: Memory, CPU, and Motherboard.  IIRC, these are really the only
pieces of your system in use during a Memtest86 run.  I'd start with
removing all but one stick of memory and running Memtest86 again.  If it
fails again, try a different stick of memory.  If it fails with all
available memory, you may want to test that memory in another system.
If it passes in another system, I'd say you're looking at a CPU or
Motherboard problem.  The problem may be heat related, do you have a
good heat-sink/fan on your CPU, with good contact between it and the
CPU?  I've seen systems I though had good contact fail, and the
application of a small dab of thermal grease fixed them (all 6 have been
running for nearly 6 months now without problem).

--
Jamin W. Collins